Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Gay Pastor's Odyssey


This past week I've been working on the stories that a gay pastor sent to me. You can see it here if you'd like. I'm sending Paul Johnson's story to as many people as I can. Maybe it will make a difference. It's a moving personal account of his journey as a gay pastor who ended up expelled from the church he loved to serve.
http://www.straightintogayamerica.com/visionsandexpectations

And...I received an inviatation to preach in Pittsburgh on September 17.

And...A former student wrote that they're heading out of church since they can't find a place in their town that takes their faith seriously.

Church and I have taken some space from each other lately. These days I'm being drawn back into church thoughts.

I keep thinking about Paul's story of years of denial, suicidal thoughts and finally expulsion from the Lutheran Church. What if he'd been encouraged to his explore his sexuality at a young age. What if, upon discovering he was gay he'd been encouraged to see out strong relationships of mutual support for his life. What if the church he loved to serve had loved his service as a gay man????

That's the world I'm looking for. It doesn't seem like much to ask.

Blessings,
Lars

No comments: