Saturday, May 20, 2006

Unicycle Jamboree


"Are you sure you want to go to the unicycle jamboree? It's raining." And, I thought to myself, "It's a three-hour drive."

"I want to go," said KariAnna last night.

It's still raining this morning, but the thrill of spending a day with 100 other grade-school unicyclers should brighten our day. Our family is headed to the 4th annual Sultan Elementary School unicycle jamboree. These are the folks who had a parade for me as I was riding across the United States. These are the folks who hosted my publication date party for One Wheel - Many Spokes.

Every time we go to Sultan I get inspired by the kids. The ones who are just learning inspire me with persistence. The tricksters who ride one-footed, or backwards, or on 6-foot unicycles show me passion. And the two teachers, Dee and Rob, they teach me about love. Week after week, year after year, they keep showing up for the kids, encouraging, leading, and offering support. I'm looking forward to soaking up this energy today, even if we're soaking up Seattle rain at the same time.

All best wishes for a wonderful weekend,
Lars

No comments: